Murder on Bed No. 315 -देवसुत

posted May 19, 2015, 3:53 PM by A Billion Stories
It was an emergency - at least, for the patient who was vomiting and passing watery stool continuously. He was delivered soon to the nearest hospital near midnight by his relative. But there was no doctor to attend - only 'sister' who put the patient on an all steel stretcher, and started a saline drip. The patient half conscious was only biding his time.

A full half hour later, the 'sister' called the 'doctor'. And of course at half hour past midnight, the 'doctor' was sleeping at home. Another half hour later, another call. The 'doctor' said she was coming. An hour later from that call when she came, she 'saw' the patient, took his pulse, put the stethoscope on his chest and went. No diagnosis was given.

The patient was not yet 'admitted'. He lay on the stretcher outside all rooms - in a corner.

At 6am in the morning, the 'doctor' came and after all the most powerful people that knew the patient came, that he was finally 'admitted' to the ICU at 8am.

It had taken a good 8hrs to cover the distance from the stretcher outside all rooms to the ICU a few feet away on the same floor. All the tests were ordered. By evening, the patients kidneys were showing signs of failure. At 9pm, the 'doctor' said that the 'hospital' did not have facilities to treat kidney failure patients. So the patient must be shifted to a hospital where they had the facilities.

At 10pm after all the bills were cleared by the relative, the patient wearing adult diapers was shifted on a metal stretcher in an ambulance with metal seats to the emergency room of another 'hospital'.

This time it was a 'big hospital'. At least, somebody said that it was a 'big hospital' obliquely meaning that the 'big hospital' had all the facilities.

At 10.50pm the now conscious but in-pain patient was admitted to the emergency of the 'big hospital'. Again, no doctor on arrival for a patient who arrived in an ambulance. The receptionist called the duty doctor who took another 30mins to reach the emergency room.

'Doctor does not talk to anybody', was the short gyan given. And "no one can enter emergency other than the patient". After a while they said: "one relative can be with the patient".

The patient of course could only display patience since there was no other option. He was on a drip again and also a catheter bag to take care of measuring his urine output. His kidneys were failing but had not failed yet. When the attending relative showed the attending 'sister' that the patient's diapers needed a change - pat came the answer - "why do not you do it yourself?"

By 6am the urine output had recovered a bit but still not completely. The patient was feeling better though still in danger. By 8am he was shifted from emergency to the ICU.

Another bed, another room, another drip, but no doctor again in the ICU. And in the ICU even the relatives are not allowed. We always used to beg the attending 'sister' for a 'glimpse' of the patient. The protocols were established of 'meeting time', 'leaving time' and the time when the 'doctor has come' would be announced. We always would sit in front of the ICU door - but we could not see the doctor come and go. Perhaps there was another door. This was a 'big hospital'.

Of course, this was a "big hospital' - it had multiple stories, so many rooms, so many sections, the floor was all costly granite, the gardens were manicured, the canteen was big, there were so many patients and their so many attending relatives, and there was no 'bigger' hospital in the vicinity.

This was also a 'good' hospital because it had all the facilities.

It could do blood tests, urine tests, ultrasound, X-ray, MRI, NMR and all the sub tests like cholesterol test, sugar test, Vitamin-D test, HIV test and what not. Every test for any part of the body could be done here. In the ICU because of hygiene concerns you would not be allowed to enter. Perhaps that was the reason why even the doctors were missing from the ICU!

"The patient's kidneys are recovering, but he is a heart patient, so we have to be careful" was being fed to my ears for two days. On the third, an ultrasound was done on the patient where the patient asked the sister jovially "is there any blood?". The sister smiled and gave no answer because she did not understand the question.

The morning of the fourth day the patient was said to be 'out of danger' by the mysterious and now famous Dr. Who, and shifted to a room where he ate idlis for breakfast and had a reasonable lunch. This was a good hospital.

At 6pm after drinking some water, the patient complained of 'breathlessness' to the sister. After a while, the sister told the 'doctor'. The doctor shifted the patient again to the ICU bed number 315. Another drip, another bed, another room and yet no doctor.

Sensing danger Dr. Who, anaesthetised the patient and put him on a ventilator - artificial breathing that is, since the patient was feeling breathless. Dr. Who was not a heart specialist though and the trouble was with the heart, perhaps! That was what everybody thought.

With no attending doctor, the patient would start removing the ventilator from his mouth since he would feel so miserable when he would regain even a little consciousness. This would go unnoticed and the 'sister' would be called by the one relative who was close by. The sister would then catch the patient, re-insert the ventilalor, the duty doctor would come, re-anaesthetize the patient and then leave the patient unattended again. This happened 3 times over a period of 2 hours and on the 4th when the patient could not take it anymore, his heart started sinking.

Dr. Who was not perhaps in the list of doctors who came because he was a 'big doctor' after all.

The emergency was now for the doctors who came in one by one and helped in reviving the patient by giving "shocks" to the heart and injecting heart rejuvenating drugs directly into the heart. The patient almost fought the doctors in trying to remove his ventilator so that he feels comfortable but alas, there were too many hands holding him down. One pair of hands tied his hands to the steel bed, and another pair tied his legs to the same. Weak and tied, the heart of the patient sunk without recourse.

The doctors left when the patient stopped struggling.

The relative was given time to cry before the body was wrapped in a white bedsheet.

The floor was clean, shining granite. All medical personnel were wearing white clothes. The building was big. Food was available in the canteen 24x7 and you could order idlis, dosas and even sweets. There was enough car parking space for all the visitors, even a nice green garden to greet.

The relative still waited for the doctor.

The receptionist gave the discharge certificate so that the Death Certificate could be got from the local municipal office. The metal seat ambulance waited outside to carry the body home. All facilities were provided. It was a 'big hospital'. It was also a 'good' hospital.

Bed No. 315 was still empty - perhaps!

It was not murder - of course!


Photo by:
Submitted by: देवसुत
Submitted on: Sun May 17 2015 21:20:42 GMT+0530 (IST)
Category: Biography-A real life incident happened with self
Language: English

- Read submissions at
- Submit a poem, quote, proverb, story, mantra, folklore, article, painting, cartoon, drawing, article in your own language at